Sosua and Cabarete
Cabarete is a Caribbean city where water sports and adventures are its main attraction. But, it is also known for its charming and relaxed atmosphere, which can be enjoyed day and night. It is a unique town of great beauty, located in the bay of Cabarete, which has the best waves and the best winds in the Dominican Republic.
Cabarete Beach, also known as Kite Beach, is the main venue for water sports. If you visit this town on a weekend, you will see a lot of kites and sails. Likewise, you do not need to be a fan of water sports to know Cabarete. The options are many, from swimming on beaches with calmer waters, to enjoying the many restaurants, bars and shops that are nearby. You can also stay in modern hotels and apartments that rise along the coast and offer magnificent views.
Cabarete is located between a bay and a lagoon, in the province of Puerto Plata, a place of great tourist value, both for Dominicans and foreigners. Its inland wooded areas allow for many ecotourism-related activities, such as hiking and bird watching. On the other hand, Sosúa is another fascinating destination that combines perfectly with the visit to Cabarete, since they are very close to each other.
With attractions for all tastes, Cabarete is presented as an excellent option to spend an unforgettable vacation. Anyway, without any doubt about including Cabarete in your route through the country, we tell you all the reasons why you should not leave it aside.
What to do in Cabarete?
Cabarete offers a good number of activities for all tastes. Here sports take all the prominence, both aquatic and terrestrial. And in this are also involved its beaches, since they are home to most of them. But, the thing is not reduced only to sports and beaches, since in Cabarete you can go hiking, enjoy good cuisine and vibrate to the rhythm of its lively night.
Practice a sport
The blue waters and golden beaches of Cabarete make it a mecca for water sports. And it is that this small town presents the perfect conditions for windsurfing or kitesurfing and many more. Let’s see now what are the options, not only water sports, but in general that you have in this beautiful Dominican town.
- Kitesurfing: thanks to its generous winds, Cabarete beach is one of the best in the country to practice this sport. If you are a novice do not worry, because you have several schools that will teach you to function in a safe environment.
- Windsurfing: Cabarete is among the ten best places in the world for this sport and hosts the international windsurfing championship. The weather conditions allow beginners and experts to put their skills into practice all year round. In addition, the village has many windsurfing centers that give classes for all levels.
- Surfing: Encuentro beach is considered one of the best for surfing and learning, as well as other sports such as boogie boarding or surfing. It features 5 main jumps that allows surfers of all levels to easily find a spot in the lineup. There you can take classes and rent all the necessary equipment.
- Diving: a few km from Cabarete, Sosúa beach has beautiful coral reefs, underwater gardens, ravines and sunken ships that make up the ideal setting for diving. With depths ranging from 15 to 39 meters, the activity lends itself to more experienced and novice divers. Also, several schools are available that rent snorkeling and underwater diving equipment, and offer classes with certification.
- Stand Up Paddle Boarding: it is another sport that stomps in Cabarete and that day after day gains more followers. When the wind and waves hide, stand-up paddleboarding takes over the town’s beaches. Those who practice it enjoy a relaxed moment and connect with the nature of the place. Even families with young children can enjoy this activity.
- Mountain biking: Water sports are not the only option offered by Cabarete. The green hills and surrounding mountainous terrain are perfect for cyclists of all levels. Leaving the village, a series of dirt roads and mule trails open up that lead to the highest mountain range in the Caribbean and are perfect for mountain biking. You even have the option of hiring half-day, full-day or two-day excursions and visiting different Dominican towns pedaling.
- Horseback Riding: Whether galloping over a beach or on mountain trails, both options are available from Cabarete. The best thing is that you can still admire the tropical beauty of the Dominican Republic. Around the village there are several haciendas that make excursions and rent horses for riders of all levels. Tours vary in length, from a quick gallop on the beach to full-day horseback riding with lunch included. Similarly, beginners or riders looking to train will be able to take riding lessons.
- Golf: Golf fans will also find things to do in Cabarete. Playa Dorada has an 18-hole course designed by Robert Trent that provides beautiful views of the sea from the cliffs of most of the holes.
- Canyoning: If you are one of those looking to raise your adrenaline levels with more extreme experiences, you will love canyoning near Cabarete. The surrounding mountains have waterfalls to jump and canyons to repel that will allow you to live an exciting adventure.